Friday, June 4, 2021

Inara George of The Bird and The Bee: “I was just blown away by his interpretations of our songs.” “Dev Marvelous X The Bird and The Bee” out now.

When Marvelous came to George with his versions, she decided to release them herself! LGBTQ producer tells how his “Birthday” cover connects to Pride.
 
+++
 

 

Dev Marvelous as photographed by Emmaline

 

+++

 

PLAY, POST & SHARE

  


Road Angel Project Presents: Dev Marvelous X The Bird and The Bee | “La La La”
 

Listen to the Dev Marvelous version of “La La La” by The Bird and The Bee via WFPK, Cover Me, Atwood Magazine or the link below!
 
“My favorite part of covering ‘La La La’ was recording the background harmonies and the new keyboard solo during the breakdown,” says Dev Marvelous of his impressive version of this original by The Bird and The Bee.
 
“Background vocals are usually daunting for me when I record, but I think due to the song's fun nature, it turned into a fast but joyful experience. For the keyboard solo, I knew when I started there would be a funky, dissonant breakdown where I just go crazy on synthesizer. It was fun to re-record Greg Kurstin’s solo too!”
 
[STREAM]:  https://fanatic.lnk.to/DevMarvelous-LaLaLa
 
+++
 

“It is always so incredibly flattering to have someone play or record a cover of a song I wrote, no matter what.” – Inara George of The Bird and The Bee
 
When Louisville, Kentucky-based producer, singer-songwriter, and pianist, Devon Moore aka Dev Marvelous, sent her an album’s worth of reinterpretations of The Bird and The Bee songs, George immediately asked if she could put them out.
 
Road Angel Project Presents: Dev Marvelous X The Bird and The Bee is out now as the sixth volume in George’s ongoing charity series in partnership with, and benefitting, the Sweet Relief Musicians Fund’s COVID-19 fund.
 
“I was just blown away by his interpretations of our songs,” George says. “Dev really made them his own, and it seemed obvious to me that he was a serious musician with his own unique vision.”
 
“It’s always been a dream of mine to collaborate with Inara,” Moore continues. “Her voice and tone, paired with her clever, poetic lyrical ability are unmatched.”
 
Among The Bird and The Bee’s many original songs, the duo has become known for their “Interpreting The Masters” albums, in which they do exactly that, covering a full album’s worth of tunes by their heroes. First was Daryl Hall & John Oates, which was followed by a Van Halen edition in 2019.
 
In all its meta glory, the gracious appreciation that Moore’s album shows for The Bird and The Bee’s tunes is clear.
 
+++
 

“Being a Black, gay musician, I always look to incorporate my unique queer voice into a lot of my work.” – Dev Marvelous
 
In addition to paying tribute to artists that inspire him, Marvelous’ stated goal through the creation of his original music and visual art is to unite and brighten the world around us, “no matter your skin, orientation, or music library.”
 
He says, “Being a Black, gay musician, I always look to incorporate my unique queer voice into a lot of my work. Similarly, I am very in touch with my spirituality. It’s important to me, and I always include a spiritual, faith-based piece in as much of my original music as I can.

  
Marvelousversion of The Bird and The Bee song “Birthday” has a direct relation to Pride for him.
 
[STREAM]: https://fanatic.lnk.to/DevMarvelous-Birthday
 
Marvelous explains, “I made the ‘Birthday’ cover imagining I was singing it to my dream boyfriend or husband as a gift when we’re apart. In some ways, it’s almost like an offering to my future partner in real time. We don’t know each other yet, but our higher selves do, and when we come together in reality, I imagine the very feelings that Inara writes about in that song will apply to us, no matter if we're together or apart.”
 
+++
 
Road Angel Project Presents:
“Dev Marvelous X The Bird and The Bee”
Out Now
(Release Me Records)
 
Streaming Link:
STREAM FULL EP
  

Track Listing:
 
01. Polite Dance Song (The Bird and The Bee)
02. What’s In The Middle (The Bird and The Bee)
03. La La La (The Bird and The Bee) (STREAM)
04. Gamera (Greg Kurstin)
05. Take Me To Paris (Inara George)
06. Lovey Dovey (The Bird and The Bee)
07. Birthday (The Bird and The Bee) (STREAM)
 
 +++
 
About | Road Angel Project
 

Click to listen to a playlist of all six volumes of the “Road Angel Project” here
 
“I reached out to some of my musician friends to see if anyone had a track that they’d like to donate to the cause,” Inara George says. “As the pandemic hit and it became very clear that live music would not resume for many, many months, I immediately thought of Sweet Relief, not only because they help so many musicians, but also because they help everyone in the music industry.
 
“All of those people who work at venues booking shows, stage managing, bartending, lighting, mixing sound, and on and on... Sweet Relief is set up to help all of these workers during this crisis and also any other crisis that might come.”
 
Sweet Relief’s Aric Steinberg says, “Sweet Relief is so grateful to be a part of the ‘Road Angel Project.’ It’s been incredible to see the music community come together during this pandemic, and this is another example of good people doing good things. The funds raised will allow us to help even more music industry professionals in desperate need and we are truly thankful for Inara’s support.”
 
For more information about the Sweet Relief COVID-19 Relief Fund, visit: https://www.sweetrelief.org/covid-19-fund.html
 
+++

Road Angel Project | Inara George | Dev Marvelous | Links
 
ASSETS : WEBSITE (INARA) : FACEBOOK (INARA) : TWITTER (INARA) : INSTAGRAM (INARA) : FACEBOOK (DEV) : INSTAGRAM (DEV) : RELEASE ME RECORDS
 
+++
 
Josh Bloom at Fanatic Promotion | Contact
 
WEBSITE : FACEBOOK : TWITTER : INSTAGRAM : YOUTUBE : SOUNDCLOUD : SPOTIFY : BLOG : E-MAIL

No comments: