Monday, September 28, 2020

Christopher the Conquered courts controversy with “Pick Up Your Telephone” video about unnamed rock star, starring Carole Baskin.

Clip from just-released “I Am Christopher” opus also features not-controversial subject matter, Garfield, in both drummer, telephone form.
 
+++


Christopher Ford of Christopher the Conquered as photographed by Josh Terzino.
 
+++
 
Christopher the Conquered | In The Press
 
 
“Impressive.” — Consequence of Sound
 
“Raw, emotional.” — Alternative Press
 
“Reminiscent of a young Elton John.” — Yahoo! Music
 
“His winning charm is subtle.” — Paste
 
+++
 
 

[STREAM]: https://soundcloud.com/fanaticpro/christopher-the-conquered-pick-up-your-telephone
 
[VIDEO]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzN3Psxjlik
 
+++
 
About | “Pick Up Your Telephone” by Christopher the Conquered
 
“You know Garfield, he’s a cartoon cat, you got a telephone in the shape of his body yeah, but you don’t pick it up! Why don’t you pick it up? Pick it up!” – Christopher the Conquered
 
15 minutes of fame is supposed to happen to everybody. It’s happening right now to Carole Baskin of “Tiger King” and it happened to Christopher Ford of Christopher the Conquered. Nice that they would spend some of their post-15 time together in the new video for Ford’s song on the subject: “Pick Up Your Telephone.” The tune is the opening cut on Christopher the Conquered’s self-focused new album, I Am Christopher (Grand Phony, Out Now).
 
A stunning irony surrounding Ford’s story is that the way he got his quarter-hour is now something that can’t really be referred to anymore. It’s just one of those things: A copy of a previous Christopher the Conquered album ended up in the hands of a very popular indie musician. He dug it, he posted about it on his socials. Blammo! Ford hit the front page of Reddit, sold a few hundred copies of his album with a quickness, and calls came in from NYC and LA. Even Consequence of Sound (which is now called Consequence?) noticed.
 
“Now I had a whole legion of fans who were Reddit people,” Ford says, going on to admit that he was unfamiliar with Reddit before all of this. “The most notable fan being John at Grand Phony, who signed me to his label. John wouldn’t know my music if it wasn’t for that Reddit post!”
 
As Ford was being contacted by industry types looking to tie him closer to the artist that discovered him, he realized that he probably wouldn’t even appeal to that artist’s fans.
 
“The next tour I did proved that intuition right, but now I was getting management and label interest, who were all trying to tie me closer to the artist in question, and I’m like ‘I DO NOT KNOW HIM,’ but I would send him messages at their insistence anyway and it just made me feel desperate and stupid. Because, of course, he didn’t respond to my messages!”
 
But, lemonade, y’all, lemonade!
 
“Pick Up Your Telephone” is now a fine Christopher the Conquered song and video.
 
“Obviously, the original inspiration was the whole experience with this particular rock star, who loves cats, which is why Garfield is a focal point of the song,” Ford says. “The song is mostly about the desperation of being a nobody artist with ego problems and insecurity, and how lame it is that after the nice things this person said about me, I would want more. And now his spotlight has dimmed, just like Carole’s will, and she also loves cats, so ‘Voila!,’ there she is.”
 
“I do think the whole brush with success made me a much better person,” Ford concludes. “Before, I was prideful, I think. Not getting everything I want really humbled me, which I would say is what this entire new album is founded on.”
 
Christopher Ford of Christopher the Conquered is available for interviews. Contact Josh Bloom at Fanatic for more information.
 
+++
 
Christopher the Conquered
I Am Christopher
Out Now
(Grand Phony Music)
 
Streaming Link:
STREAM FULL LP
  

Track Listing:
01. Pick Up Your Telephone (STREAM | VIDEO)
02. Put It On Your Credit Card (STREAM | VIDEO)
03. Try Again
04. This Is Not Love
05. You Can’t Rush the Rain
06. Love Is Not Something You Find
07. Slowest Girl In the World (STREAM | VIDEO)
08. Ordinary Person
09. The Old Record Store Down By the Sea
10. Paper Man [BONUS TRACK]
11. Too Many Teardrops (Toby Wright’s Magic Barn Mix) [BONUS TRACK]
12. Try Your Best [BONUS TRACK]
 
+++
 
 


[STREAM]: https://fanatic.lnk.to/ChristopherTheConquered-PutItOnYourCreditCard 

[VIDEO]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHYxgb-Q5vo
 
+++
 
About | “Put It On Your Credit Card” by Christopher the Conquered | Listen at Bad Copy or watch at The Big Takeover!
 
 ‘Put It On Your Credit Card’ is directly inspired by the number of times I had to take on debt to stay on the road, to record the next song, etc.,” says Christopher Ford aka Christopher the Conquered. “I half fear money and half don’t think it’s even real. Barely making a living as a singer-songwriter definitely gave me a thick skin around risk, so I’m kinda serious when I’m telling people to ‘put it on your credit card!’ It’s not like we have debtor’s prisons anymore, and once you die, it’s all gone anyway (as long as you don’t get married... I think!)”
 
As for the song’s music video, Ford comments, “One of the reasons I chose this song to do a video for is because it’s short, which made doing the video a hell of a lot easier, and it’s silly, so I could do whatever I wanted, and it kinda made sense. Most of the creative decisions made in this video were determined by what John Young (the owner of my label Grand Phony) had around his house in Pennsylvania. I was bumming around his house and digging through his basement. Turns out a guy with three daughters has a ton of fun toys and costumes around, and he’s got a hot tub, so that had to be in the video, too. It was really just a fun afternoon of filming a bunch of stuff we thought would work, and then throwing it together. Probably the easiest music video I’ve ever made.”
 
+++
 
Christopher the Conquered | Links
 
ASSETS : WEBSITE : FACEBOOK : TWITTER : INSTAGRAM : SPOTIFY : GRAND PHONY
 
+++
 
Josh Bloom at Fanatic Promotion | Contact
 
WEBSITE : FACEBOOK : TWITTER : YOUTUBE : INSTAGRAM : SOUNDCLOUD : SPOTIFY : BLOG : E-MAIL

No comments: